9.20.2013

Paleo Banana Carrot Lemon Muffins

Let's make that title a little longer, shall we?

I finally paid attention to what I was making and have an actual recipe for these muffins - I guess I'm growing up. I bought lemon curd at Trader Joe's last weekend and needed something to eat it with, so I decided to try to make muffins. I found a recipe using coconut flour and adjusted it a bit, because I wanted to add carrots like my mom does. We love hiding healthy things in baked goods. But actually, the only sugar in these muffins comes from the banana and the lemon curd. So you can totally eat them for breakfast. And a snack. And dessert.


Not the best picture, but it's better than the one of the half-eaten muffin I could have posted...

Preheat your oven to 400. Using a food processor, mix the following:

2 big carrots, shredded
1 ripe banana
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
5 eggs
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup almond meal (or use only 1/2 cup coconut flour like the original recipe intended)
1 tablespoon lemon curd
big squeeze of lemon juice (I used a quarter of a big lemon)
1 teaspoon baking soda


I used the shredding attachment on my food processor to do the carrots, then threw everything else in there and mixed it with the normal blade. I suppose you could add vanilla extract, but I didn't have any so I skipped it.

Grease muffin tins with cooking spray or coconut oil (depending on how lazy you're feeling) and fill halfway with batter. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cooked through and a tiny bit golden on the top. I got 15 muffins out of this recipe, but you could fill the tins more and get 12 bigger ones. They don't rise a ton, so mine are small, but that means I get to eat two at a time, so I'll take it.

Bonus points if you spread lemon curd on the muffins like frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment