5.23.2013

Finally, A Carousel

One of the girls I work with asked me to do this drawing for her. It took me a long time to actually start it, since I knew it would be one of the more challenging assignments I've done. Plus when I draw for someone else, it's so different because I can't just throw it away and draw something else if I don't like it. SO, that said, I think I'm happy with the result, although I've gotten to the point where I can't even see it as a picture anymore after looking at it for so long. But it's now in someone else's home, so I can let it go!

Here is the original picture I took when I was in Paris, pretty huh? Now try drawing it.



I don't always sketch in pencil first, but I needed to lay out the picture carefully this time



Then, because I was nervous to start with the pastels, I tried "underpainting" with colored pencils. Which didn't really do much since the pastels covered it completely, but it gave me a chance to see how the colors would work out.





And now it was just a matter of STARTING. When I showed my mom this picture, she pointed out that I was in the "awkward phase" which made me laugh. It's so true.






Keep coloring, Hil, you'll get there eventually.



So close...




Et voila:


So, it was a good challenge, although the carousel was harder than I wanted it to be. But at least I tried drawing something other than Rodin statues, right?

xo


1 comment:

  1. I love it! And you got through that "awkward" stage really quickly!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete